Saturday, March 14, 2009

We FINALLY have our own!!!!


After getting the wool combing book through inter library loan for about a dozen times, we finally found someone with a copy and now OWN it ourselves! I have been wearing out our Louet double row mini combs processing a number of fleeces and have been really wanting to make our own English combs so having Peter Teals book at hand for reference is a God send! I've also located a local supplier for stainless steel welding rod to be used for the tines so hopefully in the not too distant future, I will be able to actually START making a set of these lethal looking instruments. Now the big decision will be what wood to use for the combs themselves. I have some nice flame Birch left from a kniddy knoddy I made for Susie so I may use that....otherwise it will be some old growth Cherry salvaged from a barn one of the neighbors tore down to use for firewood! (Don't get me started on THAT topic!) Right now I'm finishing us a couple of dizs made from an old coconut we've had for years. This is the first time I have ever worked with coconut and I'm rather amazed at how this looks as it nears being finished.

No comments: